The picturesque seaside village of Gordon’s Bay will once again be decorated with millions of white lights transforming it into an enchanting ‘Winter Wonderland’. This year the displays will be even more spectacular with sparkling light displays from the Olde Harbour, all along the beachfront to Harbour Island. Snowflakes, light-encrusted yachts and snowmen, white lights in trees, in shops, restaurants, decorated homes and the magical Fairy Forest - all will sparkle with brilliant white LED lights to create a magnificent sparkling spectacle.
Nestled on the slopes of the Hottentots Holland Mountains, on the Whale route, Gordon’s Bay is just 50 minutes drive from Cape Town and a few minutes from the Winelands. North-facing over False Bay, the village is protected from the cold north-west wind enjoying a temperate winter - the ‘secret holiday season’. So don your woolies, fantasy costumes and twinkling lights, bring family and friends and join in the fun! Remember your camera!
The highlight of the festivities will be the ‘Winter Wonderland Carnival’ 28 – 30 June 2013 when the festively lit village will be alive with music and attractions. (See more info below)
The ‘light switching ceremony’ will be at the prestigious Winter Wonderland Ball on 22 June. This Black Tie and Ball Gown event takes place at the wintery-decorated Barn on Sir Lowry’s Pass Road, Gordon’s Bay. R350 pp includes 3-course meal & bottle of wine. (Bookings: Cathy 021-856 1535)
Detail: Gordon’s Bay Festival of Lights Attractions (22 June – 22 July 2013)
- Village Light Displays – the beachfront will sparkle from harbour to harbour
- Fairy Forest – sparkling beachside trees will enchant
- ‘Fairy Ferries’ – Boat Rides from Harbour Island to ‘Olde Harbour’: Sat & Sun 12 – 10pm; Weekdays (min 8 people) by appointment (weather permitting). Tony 083 962 8276
- Sparkling Lovers Bench – framed by twinkling lights – a romantic place to propose!
- Beachside Fun Fair – lights, laughter and shrieks of delight
- Climb Crazy Climbing Wall – for the fun-loving and adventurous!
- Craft Fair – browse and buy hand-made treasures at Indigo 21 – 30 June
- Ghost House – mystery and fearful excitement Sat 4 - 10pm (Gordon’s Bay Primary School)
- Beachfront & Harbour Restaurants - warming winter fare, music and ‘Pavement Parties’
- Art Exhibition – Large art display - Guest Houses - Villa Via Hotel 15 - 30 June (10am – 4pm)
- will offer special rates – see website
Highlight of Gordon’s Bay Festival of Lights:
Winter Wonderland Carnival Weekend
28 - 30 June 2013
The Winter Wonderland Carnival (28 – 30 June) will be the highlight of Gordon’s Bay’s Festival of Lights (22 June – 22 July) The atmosphere will be alive with the sound of music, as the picturesque seaside village is again transformed into a magnificent spectacle of white LED lights. Now in its 3rd year, the display of lights will be even more spectacular - stretching from the Olde Harbour along the beachfront to Harbour Island. restaurants, shops and homes will sparkle creating a magnificent spectacle, while a gigantic ‘Winter Wonderland’ light display, snowman, fabulous new yacht lights, shining trees and snowflakes will lead you to the carnival atmosphere.
The Carnival atmosphere will be buzzing:
Dress up in winter woollies and carnival gear, don sparkling lights, bring your families and friends, prams and dogs on leashes and stroll along the sparkling beachfront. Beach Road will be closed to traffic so hop-on-and-off the free tractor ‘Wonderland Taxi’ to see all the dazzling attractions. Enjoy wine tasting, browse through quaint shops, stop at stalls for warming gluhwein, hot chocolate or delicious ‘food on the go’. Dance at spontaneous Pavement Parties or pop into restaurants and pubs that will celebrate with live bands and musicians and offer warming winter fare. Party at the Music Fest Marquee, at ‘Melt-stock’, ‘Berties Mooring’, the Tavern and Yacht Club at the Old Harbour, or at the Harbour Island Waterfront . On Sunday join celebrities at the Song and Praise Festival. View the exceptional Art Exhibitions, browse at the Craft Market and the Gordons’ Bay ‘Then and Now’ displays, enjoy the Mr & Miss Wonderland competition, and at the historic NG Church, local organists and choirs will entertain. Shriek with delight at the Beachfront Fun Fair and for the very brave, the popular Enchanted Ghost House is a must!
The enchanting Faerie Fair, Fairy Forest and Fairy Ferry
The new ‘Faerie Fair’ display with twinkling stalls and carnival characters, fire dancers, face-painters and stilt walkers will delight all the family. Children are invited to dress up to join in the fun. The exceptionally beautiful ‘Fairy Forest’ alongside will enchant and at the Lovers’ Bench the romantic will be tempted to propose. At the ‘Olde Harbour’ and Harbour Island fabulous new yacht signs will entice you to sail across the bay on ‘Fairy Ferries’ (weather permitting) to see the spectacle of lights from the sea.
NOTE: Ample parking will be available. Most attractions will be free! Remember to bring your camera!
Carnival Weekend Attractions 28 - 30 June 2013
For ‘Happy Wanderers’
- Opening celebration – 6pm, Fri 28 June – Beach Road & Music Fest Marquee
- Village light displays – beachfront from Harbour to Harbour
- ‘Fairy Ferries’ – Boat Rides from Harbour Island to ‘Olde Harbour’ (weather permitting)
- Beachfront & Harbour Restaurants - warming winter fare, entertainers and ‘pavement parties’.
- Kaapse Klopse festive performances
- Food stalls with treats, ‘food on the go’, hot choc, pancakes, gluhwein and much more
- Craft Fairs – browse and buy hand-made treasures at Indigo
- Fire Walking– Beachfront 19:15 – 19:45
- Ice King and Queen - Pose for Photos in fantasy land
- Exhibitions – ‘Gordon’s Bay – Then and Now’ and Displays
- Art Exhibition – Villa Via Hotel (Fri & Sat 10am – 11pm; Sun 10am- 6pm)
- Fire & Light & 3D Art Display - 8 Roos Street (Fri 1- 11pm; Sat 10am – 11pm; Sun 10 – 6pm)
- Amphitheatre performances at Olde Post Office Tree
- WonderNote – organ recitals and choirs at the Historic NG Kerk
- GB for Jesus Praise & Worship in song Tommy Dell, Richard Loring, Kobus Muller & others.
- Guest Houses - will offer special rates for those wanting to sleep over
For Children and the Young-at-heart
- Fairy Forest – sparkling forest of beachside trees will enchant and delight
- Fairy Fair – Dress in fantasy costumes*, enjoy the magical atmosphere of fairies, fire dancers, face-painters, stilt walkers, jugglers, balloons and carnival games at twinkling stalls.
- Beachside Fun Fair – lights, laughter and shrieks of delight for all
- Harbour Island – entertainment & Kiddies fun
- Climb Crazy Climbing Wall – for the crazy, fun-loving and adventurous!
- Ghost House – mystery and fearful excitement! (Gordon’s Bay Primary School fun-draiser)
For Young Lovers
- Sparkling Lovers Bench – framed by twinkling lights – an ideal spot to propose!
- Mr & Miss Wonderland: Sat 12 noon : 5-9yrs & 10-14yrs. 4-00pm: 15- 19yrs; 20 – 29yrs
For Party Lovers
- Music Fest Village – live music concerts (Lions International Event)
- Beer Tent – Stalls and Beer tent at Van Riebeeck Marquee Village
- Live Music and Buskers at restaurants all over the village
- ‘Wine on the Waves’ – enjoy local wines at Villa Via(Rotary Club of Gordon’s Bay Event)
- Meltstock Music party
- Parties at the Olde Harbour and Harbour Island
Contacts: (SMS please)
Public: Estelle 084 584 4887 firstname.lastname@example.org
Musicians: Edie 079 522 4804 email@example.com
Buskers: Estelle 084 584 4887 firstname.lastname@example.org
Fairy Fair: Hazel 079 517 6569 email@example.com
Crafts: Jean 084 981 8051 firstname.lastname@example.org
Craft: Lila 082 898 5755 email@example.com
Art: Nadine 072 276 6751 firstname.lastname@example.org
Food Stalls: Paula 082 896 8913 email@example.com
Committee: Margot 082 467 3060 firstname.lastname@example.org
Media: Jeanette 083 625 1905 email@example.com
Mr & Miss Wonderland: www.sabeauties.co.za / firstname.lastname@example.org
Wonderland Costumes in The Strand is offering 10% discount specials - 012 854 6408
The Gordon’s Bay Winter Wonderland Festival of Lights is an event of the Gordon’s Bay Business Forum.
Sponsors: District Mail, 93.6fm, Show Me, Gordon’s Bay Review